Monday, May 6, 2013

Smith, oh Smith!


Never ever would I have ever thought I would crave and desire "real food." Moving to Smith College in Northampton, MA handed me an experience that I will choose to change at any minute. FOOD!! As all Smithies know, the food Smith College provides isn't actually food. Often times around campus, you will hear, "Tyler is having tacos and quesadillas, but don't get too excited. It's Smith's tacos and quesadillas." Due to the variety of people and their allergies/ medical issues and preferred lifestyles, the college is not allowed to cook with flavor or drastic pizzazz. As a minority, this experience was difficult for me to transition into, and some times it still is.

My mother is far from any type of cook, so back home I ate fast food and take out on a daily basis. Being a broke college student, eating take out everyday is not an option; but when it is, it too is not the same as food back home. I miss tasting the grease, oils and seasonings in my food. I miss processed foods and saltiness! Who do you know who screams they miss eating processed foods? If no one is your answer, then why thank you, I am honored to be the first.
Located on Thayer St.
Providence, RI

I can honestly say I was not prepared for such a traumatic food experience. Although I have already gain my freshman 15 ( I'm not sure how), I truly believe I will come back next semester doubled that.
I have already planned my dinner arrangements for the next two days when I get home. I can see it now.... Day one I will go to the all you can eat Chinese Buffet and eat as much as I can. I plan on eating so much grease, sauce and salt filled foods, my Mother will have to roll me out of the restaurant. Day two, I plan on going to my favorite Mexican food spot called Baja's Burritos and order the biggest burrito they can make!

I am counting down the days I have left until I can eat foods that I am familiar with. Fast food joints are calling out my name! Home sweet home. So close, yet so far away.

No comments: