Sunday, March 31, 2013

How to Survive Without Ever Eating Food... What?

I stumbled upon a website today that took me by surprise. At first I thought it was joke, but then I realized the guy is serious. He stopped eating food two months ago. And yep, he's still alive. Rob Rhinehart, every body. A computer programmer from the Bay Area, Rhinehart had the idea that the body needs only certain nutrients, not the actual foods that contain them, so he set out to make a concoction that contains only the nutrients that have been deemed necessary and/or beneficial for human survival. What resulted was a drink, which he's calling Soylent. Apparently it tastes fairly sweet, is psychologically satisfying, and has him feeling physically and mentally prime. He's supposedly improved in his physical activity (able to run farther) and mental ability (increased focus, faster thinking, etc.). He even says that scars he's had for years have become nearly invisible in just the two months he's been drinking Soylent. I'm certainly skeptical as to whether this is something that is sustainable or is just working short-term, but I'm extremely interested to see more. He's planning to start a Kickstarter campaign and to run a clinical trial if the funding from that comes through. Although I'm not sure how safe this is (considering he's not a chemist or dietitian and makes the drink on his own at home), I must say I'm hooked and curiously awaiting future developments.

http://robrhinehart.com/

1 comment:

Sara Eddy said...

Call me curious; call me skeptical; call me utterly unwilling to give up food especially chocolate.