Sunday, March 24, 2013

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen


Make your own burrito night
Over vacation I traveled to St. Simon's Island in Georgia with my ultimate frisbee team. Needless to say, it was a blast. It was warm, we played frisbee all day, and it was a block from the beach - an awesome way to spend spring break. Besides playing frisbee, sleeping, and going to the beach, there was a fair amount of cooking, food shopping, and of course, eating. Each night a group from our team took a turn preparing a meal for the rest of us. We had a variety of dishes ranging from make your own burritos to chili. My group made vegetable stir fry which was a much larger task than we were originally anticipating. It takes a lot of food and a lot of preparation to feed 30 people a homemade, well-balanced well. And although I love to cook and we ate some delicious food, it reminded of me one thing: there is such a thing as too many cooks in the kitchen.

Tuesday night dinner crew piled in the kitchen
I found myself having to take deep breaths and reminding myself that not everyone does things in the same way I would do them. When one of my group members enthusiastically suggested marinating the chicken in lime juice for the asian fusion style stir fry (with a sauce mainly comprised of soy sauce, ginger, and garlic), I smiled and told her she was in charge of the chicken all a while wondering in my head why anyone would think of mixing lime juice and soy sauce. But hey, the meal was a hit I just don't think I will be cooking with companions again any time soon.

No comments: