Sunday, March 31, 2013

Zeppoli


While being home for spring break, I had the pleasure of seeing my grandmother. As we spent the day together at my house, we talked about many things. One of those things was how she wished she had the ingredients to make zeppoli. At school, when mentioning this treat, I’ve had to explain it to many friends. The best comparison I could come up with was that it was kind of like funnel cake. After talking with my grandmother, I had to investigate to see if that information I was giving out was in fact true. Turns out, it wasn’t. While there very similar, zeppoli contains one ingredient that funnel cake definitely does not: ricotta. I was shocked to say the least, not being a fan of ricotta cheese because of its texture. I don’t think this will impact my liking for zeppoli though; I’ve enjoyed them for far too long to be discouraged by one ingredient.

Here are the recipes for funnel cake and zeppoli, respectively.

Funnel Cake
8 cups vegetable oil for frying

1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions
In a deep-fryer, or heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large bowl, beat milk and eggs together. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Stir into the egg mixture until smooth.
While covering the funnel hole with one hand, pour in 1 cup of batter. Start from the center in a swirling motion to make a 6 or 7 inch round. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.

Zeppoli
2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions
Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a medium saucepan, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Stir in the eggs, ricotta
cheese and vanilla. Mix gently over low heat until combined. Batter will be sticky.
Drop by tablespoons into the hot oil a few at a time. Zeppoli will turn over by themselves. Fry until golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Drain in a paper sack and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.

No comments: