Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Ice Fetish

ICE! ICE! ICE! I NEED MORE ICEEE!

According to Glamour magazine's article, "Addicted to Chewing Ice? What It Could Mean," by Sarah Jio, there is "a whole community of ice chewers out there." Finally! My people are recognized!

I admit I am a obsessive ice chewer. I chew ice due to boredom, to focus, because of hunger and because it is a mind controlling craving. Jio quickly and very briefly touches on the points as to why ice chewers just can not stop chewing ice. Jio's first point stated is a commonly heard of body imbalance, anemia. She stated, "According to Mayo Clinic hematologist Ruben Mesa, M.D., if you're a compulsive ice chewer, your body might be trying to tell you that you're deficient in iron." Jio the displays her next few point into a sentence that lists them all, "According to Mesa, ice chewers are more likely to have emotional problems, high levels of stress, even obsessive-compulsive disorder."

But WHY? is the question. Why ice? Why not gum? Why do only these factors create an obsession over ice chewing? Its Sarah Jio has a little more work to do; but thanks Glamour magazine for some insight to my well known, common addiction.



Source: http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g/2008/08/addicted-to-chewing-ice-what-i.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Her first point is right. My friend is anemic and she eats ice whenever she has it. There was a name for it....

Unknown said...

Funny, I chew ice and have been anemic from time to time. Interesting correlation there! I think I just do it unconsciously otherwise.