Monday, March 4, 2013

Peanut Butter

I don't like peanut butter, but I can't understand why. I've disliked it since I was little and I would actually tell people I was allergic to it because it grossed me out so much. I want to like it so badly because it sounds delicious and I feel like I've missed out on a huge experience (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut butter and bananas, peanut butter on Oreos, and, most of all, spoonfuls of peanut butter for a snack). Every few years I get a craving to eat it, so I do, and I hate it. It's so disappointing! What is strange is that I like peanuts. They're not my favorite nut (or are they technically legumes?), but they're not revolting like peanut butter.

Until recently, it never bothered me that I don't like peanut butter. Lately I've been feeling that it's strange that I have no peanut butter alternative, especially because it's such a staple in the average American diet. In an attempt to find a peanut butter replacement I came across sunflower seed butter and almond butter. I'd heard great things about both products so I decided to try them. I wish I had documented the experience and taken pictures to post, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead.

As for the butters, they weren't bad, but they weren't great. I could tolerate them, but I didn't enjoy them much. The sunflower seed butter was too salty for me. It tasted like the seeds had been heavily salted before they were mashed. I would have preferred a much sweeter taste. I thought I would like the almond butter for sure because I love almonds, and I was surprised that it didn't appeal to me. It just didn't taste right. There wasn't enough flavor and I found it boring. I was very confused by my experience and it left me wondering what it is about nuts/legumes/seeds in butter form that doesn't sit well with me.

No comments: