Friday, March 1, 2013

Movie Night Snack

When I was little, peanut butter was my favorite condiment for just about anything. I would eat it with apples, sandwiches, toast, bananas, and pretzels. Just about anything that was not "sweet" had peanut butter on it. Then, my mom stopped buying peanut butter because the "skippy" peanut butter was bad for us. Unfortunately, the one time she bought peanut butter afterward, she bought the "All Natural" brand of peanut butter. It was disgusting. I could not eat it.
Since that terrible experience, I have not eaten it. But the other day, my friends and I snagged a sleeve of plain rice cakes from the dining hall for our movie night. I assumed that the reason why we had plain rice cakes was because that was the only kind. Nevertheless, I had no idea what we were going to put on them to make them relatively edible. When we reached my friend's room to watch a movie from our list of disney movies, my friend grabbed a butter knife and peanut butter from her shelf and sat down to start the movie. I was skeptical, but I sat down anyway. When it was my turn, I took a rice cake and a little (one serving) container of peanut butter and used the knife to spread the peanut butter onto the rice cake.

 I warily took a bite expecting the weak and runny peanut butter that my mom had bought six years ago. I was surprised when the peanut butter was sweet and nicely brought out the flavors of the plain rice cakes. I turned to my friends wide eyed, and said, "This is the best snack ever!" They laughed at my surprise and nodded.
We watched Tarzan and ate the entire sleeve of rice cakes and consumed the entire supply of peanut butter. All the while I was marveling at how I had deprived myself of such a wonderful snack for so long.


No comments: