Sunday, March 31, 2013

Is Your Kitchen A Health Hazard?

One aspect of food we don't think much about is architecture. I find that the area in which I am eating can change the way I feel about the food itself. Normally, I can snack all day at home and in my room; yet when I go to a restaurant that feels just a bit too much like a restaurant, I leave with a knot in the pit of my stomach.

The New York Times' Sunday Review published an article called "Is Your Kitchen a Health Hazard?" which was kindly forwarded to me by my mother. This article is all about how the architecture around food, specifically in our homes, has changed. Kitchens are quickly becoming combined with living rooms by the elimination of the wall separating the two. Thus, we are starting to equate eating with just hanging out.

My 118 year old Victorian style house does not have this combo kitchen-living room. In fact, the two are separated by the dining room, yet I still noticed the "hanging out in the kitchen" phenomenon. When I was at home over break, my family hosted some friends for dinner. Despite our preparation of every dish in advance, we all still congregated in the kitchen.

I think that in some ways our culture is now combining the ideas of food and relaxation. I know that addiction to comfort foods is a big problem, especially in college life when we are away from the home and home's familiar comfort. Chemically, some foods simply can make you feel more relaxed. However, I feel like we are walking a fine line, or in fact starting to tip over to one side where we are using food as a method of relaxation, which can be dangerous to our oh-so-hectic lives.

I really enjoyed this article and I recommend it to others.
Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/opinion/sunday/is-your-kitchen-a-health-hazard.html?_r=2&

No comments: