Tuesday, March 26, 2013

S & S

There is one restaurant in my hometown that I have been eating at as long as I can remember. Even when I lived in Seattle, we would come back to Cambridge to visit friends and family, and we would find ourselves sitting down to a meal at S & S. Derived from Yiddish for "eat and eat" or something like that, S & S has been around since 1919, way before any of our times! Why is S & S important right now? Well, I ate there not once, but twice while I was home for Spring Break.

The first time I was there I had baked stuffed... uh, well, some sort of fish, and it was very good! Served with too much rice pilaf for one person though. Second time around, on the Sunday I returned to Smith (I shed a small tear at recent memories), I had a petite filet mignon served with potato pancakes, fresh fruit salad, an English muffin, and poached eggs. Yes, it was a lot of food; what's notable however, is the meat. I have not had beef in the longest time, at least not a nice cut. This was good, very good.

I got it medium (after reading how much chefs detest the "well-done" orders, which I usually make), and it was perfect. Small, thick and juicy. I had been a pescatarian for six months before this, and avoided red meat for years before that. I do not have much taste for steak, but I decided to broaden my culinary perspectives just a bit (my parents were happy). I do not regret taking a step back! It was definitely well worth it.

Thanks Ma! (the original owner)

1 comment:

Sara Eddy said...

Oh man, S&S! I used to go there all the time! I've got a very strange story about S&S, actually--I'll tell you some time, if you remind me.