Monday, February 18, 2013

Breakfast

I've been struggling with what to post for this week, hence why I'm posting at 11:47, but this morning at breakfast something struck me. Breakfast was terrible. "There is literally nothing to eat", I said to myself. Let me list what I saw, aside from the normal bread, bagel, and cereal stations: brown bananas, applesauce, butter, cottage cheese, canned mandarin oranges, coffee cake from yesterday's brunch, one and a quarter of a pancake in the bottom of a pan, and a jug of syrup. Where's the protein? Eggs? They always have eggs! I resorted to cottage cheese with mandarin oranges, hoping that the bit of protein in the cottage cheese would get me through the morning. After my morning class I typed "good breakfast helping studying" into Google and came up with an array of articles claiming the benefits of a balanced breakfast on studying. I picked a generic one that confirmed everything I believe about breakfast and listed the link below. This post really isn't about the article, rather it's about my frustration with the lack of options this morning, and more than a few times previously. The article merely validates my irritation. I somehow wish this article could make its way to the people who plan our menu. Generally, the dining hall has perfectly sufficient options, but every once in a while I feel a bit helpless with canned fruit and a soggy pancake as my options.

http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/article/health-nutrition/its-brain-food

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think one of the wonderful things about this blog is the fact that I'm realizing that I'm not the only one who looks at the "options" dining services gives us and asks myself "WTF?" I completely agree with everything you are saying and the saddest part is that I'm not even sure if a way to fix this problem even exists.