Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Embarrassing Cheesecake

"Hey Mom! This is my girlfriend Lakota. She's goes to my school and she makes the best cheesecake... My Mom loves cheesecake."

"Really? It's nice to meet you Lakota. You just have to make me a cheesecake one of these days."

"Nice to meet you too and yes of course (hee-hee)."

This was one of the most on the spot, embarrassing days of my life. The day I decide to finally meet my boyfriend's mom is the day he tells the whole world I bake cheesecake! (It wasn't really the whole world. It was just his mom but it felt like a million people were in the room.) All I could think was, "Wow now I have to bake her a freaken cheesecake. Oh great!" 

As soon as my boyfriend and I got to his room, I slapped him so hard in his chest and said, "Great! Now, why would you do that for? What if I bake her a cheesecake and she hates it? Then she's going to hate. Thanks a lot Jeremie!"

 His mental thinking was, "Great my mom loves cheesecake; my girlfriend bakes cheesecake. She'll love her."

That night, I went home and pulled out my favorite "New York-Style Cheesecake" recipe and began baking. Everyone in my house loves my homemade desserts so, of course, I had to bake two:

New York-Style Cheesecake

Total Time: 12 hr 10 min
Prep: 10 min
Inactive: 9 hr 0 min
Cook: 3 hr 0 min
Yield: About 8 servings

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoon butter, room temperature

Cheesecake:
24 ounces cream cheese
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

Make the Crust: Stir all ingredients with fork and press into 8-inch springform pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

Make the Filling: Allow the cream cheese and eggs to sit out for about 1 hour before mixing. Mix the cream cheese and sugar in a mixer on low speed. Add the eggs 1 at a time; then add the vanilla.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 275 degrees F for 90 minutes. Turn the oven off but do not open the oven door for 3 hours. Refrigerate for 8 hours before removing from the pan.






The next day, Jeremie came by to pick up the cheesecake for his mom. A few hours later I had gotten a phone call from her say how much she loved my cheesecake. I guess everything turned out for the best. Well except for me and Jeremie's relationship; that came to an end!



1 comment:

Sara Eddy said...

I bet she misses your cheesecake, though.