Sunday, February 24, 2013

Eating and Working Out

You can find me at Olin tackling weights and machines about three to four days a week. It takes motivation, but at least one of those days has me leaving my dorm to have breakfast at 7:00 AM and run off afterwards. I usually eat a lot beforehand, as "fuel" I guess  - more than I would eat on a day where I'm not working out. Today I started to wonder if that is a good idea. I have never had negative side effects - cramps, nausea, and other commonly cited maladies - from eating right before working out, but would it be better to eat less or even after my time at the gym?

I took a look at a Mayo Clinic entry on eating and exercise and found that what I am doing tends to go against what the site says is wise. They say I should be eating less - especially since I just run off to the gym and don't give myself time to digest. At the very least I'm eating the right types of food.

The article talks about whole grains, milk - carbohydrates mostly. I always try to get in a protein as well, because in my mind I feel like the presence makes me stronger! I usually have some sort of bread and milk at breakfast, so all is well there. Another thing that I'm doing right is eating afterward as well - I have a stash of protein bars and chocolate milk in my room that I go to afterward. Overall I guess I do pretty well, though I could afford to eat less I suppose, since I'm working out hard afterwards.


This looks pretty good!

Eating and Exercise Tips by Mayo Clinic

1 comment:

Sara Eddy said...

This is so smart, to research your food habits and find out if you're actually doing right by yourself. We should all be so wise.