Sunday, February 24, 2013

Puffy Pillow Pancakes

Hello, my name is Rachel and I have an obsession with pancakes. Meaning, I know when National Pancake Day is (February 5th), I have already written a few (three) essays for school about pancakes (not elementary school, but high school), not to mention the fact that I can down a stack of pancakes no problem. Of course, you could trace this obsession back to my lovely memories of pancakes: large Sunday breakfasts, my birthdays, seeing my best friend at the Original House of Pancakes in Denver, and the list goes on and on. Have you ever seen that episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch where she discovers that everyone in her family has an extreme weakness for pancakes? It's one bite and she's hooked. That's what is like for me, although I think I am a bit less extreme about my cravings for pancakes. But once I see pancakes, I can't stop thinking about them until I have them. For example, I just watched that episode of Sabrina on (total coincidence) Pancake Day, and ever since, the idea of a piping hot stack drizzled in New England Maple Syrup has been nagging at my tongue. Unfortunately, life in college is not so conducive to making pancakes 24/7, so I haven't been able to satisfy this craving. However, my house is planning a Breakfast for Dinner night, when my palate will finally be satisfied. I don't know about you, but this far in my blog post and I am getting really hungry.

Until I can have my pancakes though, I wish to share a recipe with you that I discovered over winter break which makes excellent poofy pancakes. It is by the Post Punk Kitchen, started by one of my favorite chefs (who just happens to be a vegan): Isa Chandra Moscowitz. Below is her recipe, enjoy!



1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup almond (or soy) milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center.
Measure the milk into a measuring cup. Add vinegar and ground flax seeds, and use a fork to vigorously mix the ingredients until foamy. This will take a minute or so.
Pour the milk mixture into the center of the dry ingredients. Add the water, canola oil and vanilla and use a fork to mix until a thick, lumpy batter forms. That should take about a minute. It doesn’t need to be smooth, just make sure you get all the ingredients incorporated.
Preheat the pan over medium-low heat and let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
Lightly coat the pan in oil. Add 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, and cook for about 4 minutes, until puffy. Flip the pancakes, adding a new coat of oil to the pan, and cook for another 3 minutes or so. Pancake should be about an inch thick, and golden brown.

This recipe makes about eight medium sized pancakes, but don't let that deceive you, they are really filling! I highly recommend this recipe, in fact, it is my favorite recipe for pancakes! Let me know if you try this recipe out, and if you want to but don't want to cook, call me and I'll be there in a flash!

The Post Punk Kitchen site: http://www.theppk.com/
The pancake recipe: http://www.theppk.com/2011/12/puffy-pillow-pancakes/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks really good! Pancakes are one of my favorite foods (and I love Smith Breakfast at Night!) and I really enjoyed reading this (though I am getting a bit hungry as well). I distinctly remember eating pancakes at Morrow/Wilson one night and for some reason, they were much better than all of the other pancakes that I have tried here. I realized that it was because those pancakes were fluffier and poofier. SO GOOD.