Monday, February 4, 2013

The World's Best Cake... Seriously

One of my sisters loves to bake and she's really good at it, too. A few years ago she came across this recipe for pistachio cake in a magazine. We thought it sounded good so we figured we would give it a shot. We were instantly addicted. The cake is so moist, which is saying a lot because I am super picky about cake being dry. I can't stand it when cake isn't moist enough because it's just so disappointing. Even if the flavor is great, moistness is the deal breaker. So, yes, this cake became a regular in my house. I even learned how to make it. For those of you who don't remember the story that I told on the first day of class, I actually managed to butcher cake from a box once. I think that might actually be considered a talent because that takes some serious skill. Luckily, I haven't messed up this cake yet.

I thought I might share this recipe with you in hopes that you will all fall victim to its brainwashing sweetness (Trust me, you will never feel the same about any other cake after you try this). Even if you're not a huge fan of pistachio flavoring, I recommend that you still give it a shot. If you really dislike pistachios, you could try replacing the pistachio pudding with just vanilla pudding. I haven't tried that yet, but I think it would be delicious. 

THE RECIPE:

CAKE:

1 box (18.25 ounces) white cake mix
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 can (12 ounces) lemon-lime soda (such as 7 UP or Sprite)

FROSTING:

1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
1.5 cups milk
1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)
1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts to garnish (this is optional and I usually don't bother)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper and spray again.

2. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, vegetable oil and soda on medium-high speed for 4 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl after 2 minutes.

3. Equally divide batter between prepared cake pans. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn cake layers out directly onto rack and cool completely.

4. Frosting: In a large bowl, beat pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes on medium-high speed. Fold in whipped topping.

5. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and frost top with 1 cup of the frosting. Place remaining layer on top and frost top and sides. Garnish with chopped nuts. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator. 

THE MASTERPIECE





2 comments:

Sara Eddy said...

This recipe sounds yummy--and easy! Is it sibling rivalry that resulted in your sister as strong chef and you as cake-ruiner?

Unknown said...

No, there isn't any rivalry between my sisters and me. The baking skills just skipped over me. Luck of the draw, I suppose!