Sunday, February 24, 2013

Portland homecoming!

If you have read my first post on the blog, you may remember that I love to cook with two of my friends in Portland, Erica and Dave. They are very committed to making any food they want, no matter how complicated. That said, one of our favorite things to make together is pizza, however simple, probably because of how fun it is to roll out the dough, spread the sauce, cover in handfuls of cheese, etc. But somehow it never quites turns out the way we want. The crust is too thick and thus doesn't cook fully, there's too much sauce so the crust gets soggy, etc. Since moving away from Portland (and, consequentially, away from them), however, I have discovered the perfect pizza recipe. Here it is (from my memory and with ingredients approximated, my favorite way to cook):


  • 2 pizza crusts (I use the packets that you mix with water, though I imagine it'd be better with the real stuff)
  • 1/2 cup of pesto
  • basil
  • oregano
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 tomato, finely chopped
  • a handful of spinach leaves (10-15), finely chopped
  • 1 cup feta cheese
Prepare the crusts (make sure to spread them thinly enough!) to make two pizzas. Lightly coat in olive oil, and sprinkle basil, oregano, and parmesan cheese on top. Spread a thin layer of pesto overtop. Add the tomato chunks and spinach over the pesto, followed by a substantial layer of feta. Cook according to the directions accompanying your crust package/recipe.

Here's how it looks in the making:


While cooking:


And after: 


Luckily I was able to get plane tickets to Portland for spring break, so I will soon have my long-standing wish to make this pizza with them come true! Expect more blog posts about Portland + food in the remaining weeks leading up to break (and, let's be honest, probably in the weeks following as well).




2 comments:

Sara Eddy said...

It looks so good! But where did the tomatoes go, in the "after" photo?

Anonymous said...

I'm actually not the biggest tomato fan, so I ended up making two separate pizzas - one with and one without!