Sunday, February 3, 2013

The "Promiscuous" Brownie

Some of you may be familiar with this decedent concoction under a slightly different designation, but no matter what name it is under, its overpowering sweetness is just the same. For those unfamiliar, here is the recipe:

For the Brownie layer
10 tablespoons unsalted butter1 1/4 cups white sugar3/4 cup cocoa powder1/2 teaspoon salt2 teaspoons vanilla extract2 large eggs1/2 cup all-purpose flour

For the Oreo layer
1 package Oreo cookies 


For the Chocolate Chip Cookie layer
1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan with tin foil and then spray the foil liberally with baking spray.
3. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the sugar and cocoa powder. Stir to combine and remove from the heat. Add the salt, vanilla, and eggs to the batter and then whisk until combined. In a separate bowl, sift the flour and then slowly incorporate the flour into the batter until it's all mixed. Set the batter aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with a hand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl as you go. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and then set aside.
5. Start by gently pressing the cookie dough into the bottom of the pan, making sure to create an even layer.
6. Add a layer of Oreos on top of the cookie dough. Nudge them as close together as possible without overlapping.
7. Pour the brownie batter on top of the Oreo layer. Use a spatula to make sure it's even.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test with a knife to see if the center is done. It's OK if the knife has some brownie on it. It's easy to over-bake the cookie layer if left in the oven too long.





When I tried my hand at making such a serious dessert, I took the quasi-easy way out and used a pre-packaged brownie mix but elected to make the cookies dough from scratch. No matter what method I used, I'm sure the result would have been the same. In the end, I was left with a pan full of sweetness that was literally too much to handle. After this baking experience, I learned that you really can have too much of a good thing and that this was a prime example. The combination of cookies, brownies, and oreo's was sickly sweet and after one small square paired with vanilla ice cream, I had had enough for a lifetime. I may have been overly-ambitious adding the ice cream, but I doubt its absence would have lessened the sugary impact. Although I don't think this treat will become more appealing as I age, I hope to give it another try in the near future.


You can find a slightly more intense recipe at: 

http://www.food.com/recipe/even-sluttier-slutty-brownies-491951?oc=linkback

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The eating of this sounds like a challenge that I'd be willing to take!

It sounds like this would be an interesting array of flavors and textures. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I have the desire to attempt baking (which I've never done, for the most part). Definitely will have some friends on hand to divvy up the goods, and lessen my chance of a sugar coma!

Sara Eddy said...

Yeah, I was just thinking these would be good cut up into very small squares--almost bite-size pieces. You know you're in trouble when you look to ice cream as a break from the sweetness of the cookie!

I'm also really curious now about the usual name for this treat...