Sunday, February 3, 2013

Delicious Pupusas!!


Pupusas, stuffed tortillas, are a traditional Salvadorean dish since that is where the dish originated from.  I have come to love pupusas due to the culture it brings in my life, as well as its tastiness. Although I have never actually made them, my mother has so I usually watch her and learn from her.  There are different ingredients that could be added to pupusas but the best type in my opinion is called pupusa de revuelta.  It is a bit difficult to make by hand if you want to get a nice circular shape but it would be much easier if a tortilla press were used.  Here is the recipe to make 4 to 5 pupusas: 

                              


Ingredients: 
      2 cups of Corn Flour
      1 cup of warm water 
      cheese
      refried beans
      meat(chicharron)

Method:
1. In a fairly large bowl, mix together the corn flour and water. Knead it together and add more water (one tablespoonful at a time) to make a moist yet firm dough.  The dough should not crack at the edges when you press down on it.) Cover and set aside to rest for about 5 to 10 minutes. 

2. Roll the dough into a log and cut it into 8 equal portions. After, roll each portion into a ball.

3.  Press an indentation in each ball using your thumb and put about 1 tablespoon of filling into the indentation and fold dough over to completely enclose it. Press the ball out with your palms to form a disc-like shape, while making sure that nothing spills out.

4.  Line a tortilla press with plastic and press out each ball to about 5 to 6 inches wide and about 1/4- inch thick.  If you don't have a tortilla press, then you can place the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper and roll it out with a rolling pin.

5.  Lastly, heat a greased pan over medium-high flame. Cook each pupusa for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. 

Here is a video to hopefully make things easier to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShxKY1mrPM

After having been away from my home during my first semester of college, I missed the food I would eat back at home so my mom took me to a salvadorean restaraunt to eat pupusas.  I feel like this dish reminds me of my family and when we eat it together it means alot to me since it is like our family time.  Similarly, pupusas are important in salvadorean culture as it was shown when El Salvador declared November 13th to be "National Pupusa Day".    

http://www.newsamericasnow.com/a-taste-of-el-salvador/

1 comment:

Sara Eddy said...

I would LOVE to watch your mother make these--and I'm not sure I'd dare make them myself, before watching someone else do it.