Sunday, February 17, 2013

Food Safety Scandals That Rocked the World

During the past couple of days I have been really sick so the thought I would take this theme and run with it. I typed in "food stories in the news" into Google and was shocked by the outcomes. There were hundreds of results mostly reporting about gross food or our gross food industry or gross people eating gross food made from our gross food industry (i.e. "Digesting Food News: The Top Food Stories of 2012 and Why They Matter). 

I came across this article on Huffington Post's website called "Food Safety Scandals That Rocked the World." I encourage you to click on the link - there are more lovely pictures like the one I posted here accompanying the blurb about U.K. scandal where "beef" was substituted with horsemeat. Talk about gross. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/15/food-safety-scandals_n_2694619.html?utm_hp_ref=@food123#slide=2112882


But I particularly interested not in the details of each of the food scandals, but what the article read: "The horsemeat scandal is an issue of food safety, not because people are getting sick but rather because people are expecting one product and getting another. It is an issue of food quality as well, and a powerful example that the global food chain is a complicated and messy affair." Makes me think more about the fact that we really don't know what is going into our food and therefore we don't know what is going into our bodies. Even if we read the labels, there is no reassurance that what it says is what is...

No comments: