Monday, February 11, 2013

Tootsie Rolls

 Lately I've been struggling with this unrelenting craving for a mystery food. I say mystery because I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS. It is so frustrating! The craving becomes most apparent in the afternoon and late at night (Yes, I am a night muncher). It is also strange that I can't even identify if the food I want is sweet or salty. I think it might be switching, depending on what I ate last. I have plenty of snacks in my room and my snack of choice so far this semester has been Tootsie Rolls.Tootsie Rolls are dangerous. They're especially dangerous when you have a bag of 700, which I do. (Don't judge, it was a Christmas present. I know what you're all thinking.) They're little, delicious, easy to take on the road, and there's 700 of them. This is a recipe for disaster.

Since I opened the bag, I have to have consumed at least a few hundred Tootsie Rolls. It's disgusting, I know. What I don't understand is how I could mindlessly eat a few hundred Tootsie Rolls. I'm not talking a few dozen, I'm talking A FEW HUNDRED. Who does that? How did I not notice? Should I be concerned? Am I going to die? Should I throw the rest away? These are some of the questions I've been pondering since I realized my Tootsie roll addiction. I'm not even sure if addiction is the right word because if I don't see them, I don't want them. I only eat them because they're there. Maybe I should hide them.

The only explanation that I have for my ridiculous consumption is that I'm stress eating due to not being able to identify what I'm craving. It's almost like I'm trying to satisfy my craving with Tootsie Rolls. If that is the case, I cannot wait to figure out what I've been dying to eat all semester.

The offender:

2 comments:

Sara Eddy said...

They say that food cravings in children and in pregnant women are often related to some particular nutrient that the craver is lacking. But...there are no nutrients in Tootsie Rolls?

You should think of some creative way to give away most of these. Wrap them in little packages with a handwritten fortune and leave them on people's doorsteps. Unwrap them all and make a giant outdoor portrait of the soon-to-be ex-Pope. Something.

Unknown said...

Professor Eddy's comment is really interesting...

I mean, most of the time I feel like people crave "bad-for-you" foods, right? What kind of nutrients can be found in cake, or chips, or bread?

I can take or leave tootsie rolls myself. Now tootsie pops, that's another story!