Saturday, February 16, 2013

Grilled Kidneys



When we did the Amazon research project I discovered the cookbook "Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats" on the great long list of new and popular. It sparked my interest - so I put a hold on it at Forbes!

Yes, the picture is sideways - I've got no idea how to remedy that!

This book is interesting to me because I like learning about nutrition - and this book is all about that. While it is a cookbook, and so it has recipes, it also has in depth breakdowns of nutritional properties of many foods and how our body uses them. It dispels the gospels of "bad foods" (saturated fats, red-meats, the like) and explains how our body needs a large variety of foods to function. We're being brainwashed into malnutrition (even when we're not starving ourselves on diets!) -  the recipes included in the book are very diverse, and good for us, for the most part.

Oh, and speaking of challenge foods...

Grilled Kidneys with Hazelnut Butter Sauce  (page 282)
1 pound kidneys, cut into walnut-sized pieces and marinated in lemon juice
1 tablespoon melted butter
3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
1/2 stick butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives

Remove kidney pieces from lemon juice and dry well. Thread on buttered skewers and baste with melted butter. Grill under the broiler about 5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, saute the hazelnuts in butter until lightly browned. Stir in chives. Divide kidneys among individual plates and spoon sauce over.

There's something about the word "kidney" that gets to me, honestly. The sauce sounds like it would taste good, so long as it was salted butter... no denying the saturated fat content! I do not think I would eat this, even if it is good for me - would anybody else?

No comments: