Friday, February 15, 2013

Invent a Food!

Dinosaur Comics, by Ryan North, is one of my favorite things in the world.  A few weeks back he produced this comic strip:


(You can find the original here, by the way, and read his other strips.  If you flip through day to day without even reading, you'll see immediately part of what's so funny about this strip.)

I love the spirit of this, if not the actual execution.  It takes guts to mess around in a kitchen, trying--and usually failing--to "invent a food."  One good rule to start with might be not to mix meat and ice cream, but I give T Rex props for trying.

Another thing I love is that another fan of Dinosaur Comics, a Canadian airplane pilot who writes the blog "Aviatrix," decided to try to make this "meat-themed frozen confection."  Why not?  It's certainly another challenge food!  Here's a photo of the final product:


It looks surprisingly...edible?  I love a recipe that uses language like this:  "Not being a fully-grown Tyrannosaurus Rex, and not having a giant enough frying pan, I divided the recipe by five, and also seeing as I live in modern times and not the late cretaceous period, I used the metric system."  Oh, Canada.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't realize that creating a food was such a challenge. I can hardly wrap my mind around it - I always figured recipes "just happened." But I guess there's a lot of chemistry to it - chemistry with the potential to go wrong...

Meat and Ice Cream sounds gross, but the sugars might actually make it taste interesting when cooked. The image above looks a lot like dirt though... which is what I thought it was before I read the context!