Sunday, February 17, 2013

Nostalgia

There is not a day that goes by that I don't long for home. The people, the sights, the smells, and the food!

Everybody experiences homesickness, but I think that Smith puts all of those emotions on steroids  As you could imagine, I like everybody else have been struggling with adjusting (although I am quite accustomed at this point), but I think that I have discovered the thing at Smith that will make my stay a little easier - Vegetarian Spring Rolls.

My first ever experience with these Spring Rolls was at Comstock house and from that moment forward, I told myself that the next time a house served these deep fried delights, I would go running to it!

The first time I ever bit into one, I was immediately taken back to my dining room table eating a Shrimp Roll from the Chinese takeout restaurant a few blocks away. The golden wrapping was just as crispy as it should be and the middle was filled with a blast of flavors of cabbage, carrots, some other vegetables that I can't identify and oil! Now, some people may hear "deep-fried" or "oil" and not appreciate it, I honestly never did either, but coming here has made me miss the simple and unhealthy foods that were so easy to acquire back home. To me, and I'm not sure why I feel this way yet, those little Spring Rolls have Philadelphian Chinese takeout inside of them and they are my new favorite thing here...I now have something to look forward to while I'm here instead of just getting out of here! This probably explains why I put as many rolls as I could (and it would have been waaay more if I had my Tupperware) in a napkin after dinner and walked home nibbling (or maybe devouring is the right word) them...don't judge me.

No comments: