Sunday, February 24, 2013

Slow Foodie


I have realized that I am what some would call a "slow" cook. I really believe that taking time to let each food cook together and individually to desired state results in the richest and most delicious of flavors. Of course, though, certain foods are meant to be cooked quickly and with varying temperatures. But for most of the meals that I cook myself, there seems to be a common theme of slow and on low temperatures. One of my specialties is my paste sauce. My Italian blood bubbles enthusiastically at the thought of a delicious pasta dish. People often regard pasta as boring, but I love it quite passionately. I have an array of different sauces, different vegetable combinations, and different meats that I like to dress my pasta with. It is in every way my comfort food.

Not only am I a slow cook, but I am also improvisational. I combine, experiment with flavors, and rarely ever follow a recipe. With that in mind, here is the paste dish I made for dinner Friday night:

Friday's Slow Sauce 
Thinly slice an onion. Put the onion in your pan and drench with olive oil. Cook on a low heat, and dash with Cayenne (sparingly), Paprika, and Rosemary (fresh is best!). Let onions cook in oil for twenty minutes or so on a very low heat. Then chop three substantial cloves of garlic and cook for a mere three minutes or so. Add a can of diced tomatoes and tomato puree (I was cooking for two). Add more delicious herbs and some salt  and pepper (basil oregano etc.) Keep heat very low and simmer for fifty minutes.

Meanwhile, in another pot, begin to cook your vegetables and sausage. My combination tonight included: red pepper, mushroom, kale, and mango chipotle chicken sausage. First cook the pepper in olive oil, then add sausage, then kale, and lastly mushroom. When all the ingredients are nicely cooked throw em in the sauce! Let them soak it up for another five minutes and then voila! Enjoy with pasta of your choice (spaghetti was mine)!

No comments: