Sunday, February 10, 2013

On my culinary skills and cheese

Lately, I've seen all these amazing and mouth-watering recipes on this blog and I felt that I should contribute a recipe as well! However, one thing that bars me from doing so is that...well....I can't cook for the life of me.

Honestly, I can only whip up a mediocre peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an unappetizing bowl of cereal. A microwaveable bag of popcorn is pushing it. I don't know how I ended up with such disappointing culinary skills - is it genetics? Is it because I ordered take-out most of my life? I just don't know! And worse, my family is rooted in the restaurant business. My paternal grandmother in South Korea owns a restaurant that had been covered on a popular Korean variety show once ago. My aunt runs a restaurant a few miles away from my grandmother, while running an office supply store and managing a family of three. My mom and my maternal grandmother used to operate a small deli-style store in the heart of New York City. My dad, who I have never really seen cook often, shows  exemplary talent in barbecuing - a meal that I look forward to whenever I come back home. And even my younger sister, who is a senior in high school, can recreate anything she finds online. I am ashamed to say that she would often make food for me. So what happened here?

Here are some testimonials about my culinary skills:

"How in the world did you make cornbread out of Betty Crocker's cupcake mix?!" -Seul-E Son

"Seulgi, I am very worried about you. How will you live after college?" - my mother

"Ew." - a friend

"I can't believe you almost set the microwave on fire." -Seul-E Son 

So, yes. I suggest you all run far away whenever a recipe book is in a mile radius from me.

However, I have to give myself credit for this one little treat I'm going to share with you all. It's a snack that I've been eating since I discovered the existence of this exquisite cheese: The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss. I absolutely love it: not only for the taste, but it's packaging! It's packaged in a circular box but on unraveling it, you can see 8 triangular wedges of wrapped cheese. I love it primarily because it reminds me of a pizza.

Here is the recipe for how I use this cheese:

Cheese and Crackers

What you need: 
Wheat Thins
Laughing Cow Light and Creamy Swiss

Instructions: 
1) Open both boxes of Wheat Thins and cheese
2) Spread as much cheese as you'd like on that wheat thin (do not fret, you have 7 more wedges of cheese leftover in your fridge)
3) Enjoy!




Never fails.

No comments: