Monday, February 4, 2013

Chitlins


After reading that article about Tripe, I started thinking a lot about chitlins or chitterlings as the author of this recipe put. Chitlins are pig intestines, and they are infamous for there smell. I wouldn't dare eat them, nor would I recommend them because I think they're disgusting. However, I've included the recipe if you're bold enough to try them. 

The history behind this food is way better than the food itself. When slavery was still practiced in the United States, slaves were given the scraps of meat unsuitable for their owners to eat. Some of those foods were pig feet, tongue, ears, neck bones, and chitterlings. As time past those who became the ancestors of slaves continued to eat these foods because they were cheap. However, African Americans in the south still eat chitterlings, especially the first of the year with greens and peas, because they believe it will give them luck through the year. 

To that statement I say it's only weird if it doesn't work. So, if you're feeling brave, or if you want to experience another culture, I've added a little song to get you working and a recipe to follow. Just don't forget to clean them properly. 

Chitlin Cookin' Time in Cheatham County:
There's a quiet and peaceful county in the state of Tennessee
You will find it in the book they call geography
Not famous for its farming, its mines, or its stills
But they know there's chitlin cookin' in them Cheatham County hills
When it's chitlin cookin' time in Cheatham County I'll be courtin' in them Cheatham County hills
And I'll pick a Cheatham County chitlin cooker
I've a longin' that the chitlins will fill

Recipe
5 lbs of Chitterlings
1/2  cup of sliced Jalapeno Peppers
1 tbs of Crushed Red Peppers
1 tbs of Garlic Powder
1 tbs of Seasoning Salt

1. After cleaning your chitterlings, place them in a large pot.
2. Go ahead and add all of your spices, and peppers in the pot, and pour in enough water to cover the “chitlins”. Stir , and make sure everything is through out.
3. Turn your stove on medium high. Once it starts boiling, turn your heat down to low medium, and let cook for approximately 5 hours or until tender on this temperature. Be sure to stir periodically to prevent burning/sticking.

1 comment:

Sara Eddy said...

This is SO not what I thought chittlins looked like. I always imagined them as deepfried, crispy, sort of like porkrinds, I guess. I would try these, yes, but they're less appealing than they were in my imagination before reading this post...