Friday, February 15, 2013

September 7th Cake


A few years ago, I was craving a chocolate cake. But, I have found that the majority of gluten free chocolate cake is bad. My Mom mentioned to one of her co-workers that I was hoping to make a chocolate cake, but the cake mixes always managed to disappoint. Margi, my Mom’s co-worker, said, “I have this wonderful cake recipe. It is flowerless and it is wonderful!” My Mom brought home the recipe for this cake. It was called the September 7th cake. I was very excited to make this cake. I immediately went to the grocery store to buy the ingredients needed. There were no more than fourteen ingredients, and I figured that it would be an easy cake to make. 
I was wrong. I went home, anticipating the next day when I was going to bake this magnificent chocolate cake. The next day I woke up, rode my horse, and came back to take a shower, and then make my cake. I began the cake at about noon. I did not complete the cake until 6pm. I worked all day to make the homemade whipped cream, and not whip it too much because then it would turn into butter. I spent hours on this cake, and by the time I was done, I was completely convinced that because it had taken such a long time that it was going to be absolutely terrible. It should not have taken as long as it did. A cake should take twenty minutes tops to prepare, and then about a half an hour to bake. 
That night, my mom came home to make dinner, and she saw my creation. I cannot lie, it looked pretty impressive. It was a double layer, mocha whipped cream frosting, chocolate cake. I was proud of my accomplishment even if it was going to taste bad. We ate dinner in silence because everyone expected that my cake was going to be wonderful. I knew they were wrong. 
After dinner, I brought the cake to the table, and cut the first piece. I cut through the cake like it was thin air. But, I warned everyone to not expect too much out of this cake. 
I took my first bite, and realized that I had just put my mouth around a small piece of chocolaty heaven. I took another bite because I was pretty sure that I was dreaming. I was not. It was the best cake I have ever eaten, gluten free or not. The hours of work that it took meant nothing because it was the lightest, fluffiest cake ever. 
I have not made the cake since, but every summer, around September, my Mom says to me, “Hey, do you remember that September 7th Cake you made a few years ago?” I just chuckle.


1 comment:

Sara Eddy said...

Recipe! Recipe! I have new friends who are gluten free: I NEED this recipe!