Monday, February 4, 2013

Local Burger at Midnight

I'm not sure if you all are aware of this, but I have an unhealthy obsession with burgers. I absolutely love burgers. The brilliant concoction of beef, sandwiched between two slices of sesame-seed buns, and arranged with an array of vegetables leaves me wondering if I'm having a slice of paradise with each bite.

Given my feelings for this certain wonder, it's not surprising that I immediately jumped on the idea when my friends suggested a late night burger run last Friday night. I threw on my North Face fleece jacket over my pajamas, slipped into my Uggs, and left my dorm excited and ready.

I knew which burger I was going to order the minute my friends suggested Local Burger: The Juicy Lucy. Now, for people who are unfamiliar with the Juicy Lucy, it is described on the restaurant's online menu as:


Juicy Lucy - 12oz Patty stuffed with American Cheese served molten hot. $8.99

Molten Hot. Molten Hot. First, the description "molten hot" captured my attention partly because I'm a prospective geoscience major with a bizarre fascination with volcanoes. Second, I have never tried a burger in my life where the cheese is encased within the beef patty. I first assumed it would be similar to those cheese-stuffed pizza crusts sold by major companies such as Pizza Hut or Dominoes. But boy was I wrong. It's called "Juicy Lucy" for a reason. One bite or a slice into the behemoth ensues an explosion of hot American Cheese.

                                               

In this photo I conveniently took that day, you can clearly see the cheese seeping out into the basket. Mere minutes after this photo was taken, the burger was swimming in a sea of liquid cheese. To some, this might sound horrifying, but to me? Each bite was worth it.

Mind you, this burger was a challenge. I remember the man at the counter was impressed by my appetite and ability to finish a burger of this size. He had said, "Wow. I sometimes have trouble finishing this by myself. I'm impressed!" Between you and me, I did not finish this burger - I had left 1/16th of it in the basket. I parted ways with my meal that night and headed home with a satisfying food coma.

For those who have the urge to try something interesting and new, I definitely recommend this burger. Though you might have a 40% chance of burning your tongue or even a 55% chance of leaving the store covered in cheese, I promise you that it's a chance worth taking.


*A face of approval

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that sounds really good. This type of burger sounds novel, and I feel like the restaurant is worth a visit now that someone I know has attested to its virtues!

Girls - our appetites are underestimated. For shame, for shame!

Sara Eddy said...

I ordered that burger one night! It was delicious, but SO HUGE. I'd recommend ordering it, planning ahead to cut the thing in half and save the leftovers for the next day. Or better yet, share it with a friend.