Monday, February 18, 2013

La Fiorentina

Valentine's Day is a day of excessiveness - pink, cheap Valentines Cards, and chocolate. From all of the shameless chocolate theft I have witnessed in my house, I wouldn't be surprised if VDay was another way of saying "Chocolate Appreciation Day". Now, I must confess - I might have taken a chocolate or two (twenty really) on my way to Calculus, but hey! I needed all that sugar to keep me up for  an intense lesson of second derivatives!

My brain fried and my eyes heavy, I walked back to the Quad and was full on ready to jump into bed when my friend popped in and asked if I'd like to go into town with her. Knowing that I'd choose sleep over a long cold trek down town, she quickly offered chocolate strawberries. CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRIES. She got me hooked instantly.

La Fiorentina is a cute secret bakery hidden behind Thornes Marketplace, a store that could be easily overlooked by its towering neighbors. We browsed through the store and when my eyes locked with the tray filled with chocolate covered strawberries, I knew that I would splurge. And splurge I did.
I ended up buying 6 of the bigger strawberries (the strawberries that the store owners kept in the back for safe keeping) and I don't regret a thing. 

Now about these chocolate covered strawberries - these strawberries weren't like the yucky slimy ones that they hand out in the dining halls. No siree! These strawberries were incredibly rich in flavor, satisfyingly juicy, and sweet. The chocolate layer crumbled with each bite, with bits and pieces of it littering my rug, but I didn't mind at all. 

I definitively recommend these little treasures to you guys, but keep in mind that they are pretty pricy! (1 strawberry is roughly equivalent to a dollar - and the bigger the strawberry, the pricier it is!) But hey, they're chocolate covered strawberries... how can you say no to that? 


          My strawberries were housed in this adorable little box. 

                         
My strawberries - and hey! There's a chocolate smiley face on the wrapping! 


Happy Valentines Day everybody! (even though it's a bit belated now)

No comments: