Friday, February 22, 2013

The Perfect Balance of Cream and Vanilla


I am often disappointed with college food. I always thought that it was a stereotype made my a few students that had a bad experience with food while they were in college. But no, it always has too much salt, or tastes like it sat in oil for two days before it was cooked. I am afraid to eat the fish because it is always very tough and I get the feeling that that the white foamy stuff resting on the top of the fish probably should not be there. Nevertheless, being a college student living in college housing I do not really have a choice in the matter. 
The other day I walked into the dining hall and saw a cart by the desert bar. It was completely covered in ice cream toppings. There were rainbow sprinkles, chocolate sauce, M&Ms, etc. It was a beautiful set up of delicious, bad things. 


After I ate my dinner, I said to myself that I would walk up to the bar just to see what kind of ice creams there were. Probably not the best decision. Before I continue, I should mention that I have a very hard time resisting ice cream, particularly vanilla bean ice cream. I am sure that you are all surprised to read that the ice cream that was sitting there was vanilla. I could not say no. I got one scoop of ice cream to prove that I did in fact have a bit of self control. I then turned to the toppings cart. I told myself that I could only have on topping. I chose the chocolate sauce. I sat down to my small bowl of ice cream with a spoon. The first bite was dainty. The chocolate sauce was rich and creamy and it was perfect. The ice cream was the perfect balance of cream and vanilla. I ate my scoop of ice cream with a large smile on my face. 


No comments: